Sunday 26 January 2020

Matthew 14: 22-33 and Acts 3: 1-10

Interestingly, after I’d already prepared a good chunk of this talk, I saw that Campbell had written on last week’s service sheet – ‘Why not volunteer for something that takes you beyond what you are used to or out of your personal comfort zone, and discover what amazing things you and God can do together.’

And really this is the gist of what I want to talk about this morning – and why I chose today’s readings about Peter getting out of the boat and walking on water and Peter and John healing a crippled man.

Both these stories are really about stepping out in faith, and the stories show how God can work through us in amazing ways if we’re prepared to do this.

When I say stepping out in faith, I mean being obedient to what we feel God is asking or prompting us to do.

This may be undertaking some new role or calling in the church; starting up a new venture or group; or it may be responding to a nudge from the Holy Spirit to say or do something in a particular situation that we find ourselves in.

It’s basically being led by the spirit of God and responding in faith.

Now I’m conscious that many of you are already doing an awful lot to serve this church and the local community – but as Campbell says – I think God wants to encourage us all to step out of our comfort zones – to expand our faith boundaries and to give something we perhaps haven’t tried before, a go.

You see the more we get out of our comfort zones – the more we have to rely on God – and the more he can work through us.

In the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom – there is a bit called ‘Leap of Faith’ which you can watch on You Tube.

Indiana Jones has to take a step of faith in order to cross between two sides of a rocky cavern. It looks like there is nothing at all there to support his weight.

And it’s only as he takes a step off one side that he discovers that there is an invisible bridge under his foot.

And in the Christian life, as we are out of our depth naturally speaking, we have to rely on God to help us and then we discover the supernatural power of God’s Holy spirit working in us and through us.

For instance, many of us struggle to to share our faith with those around us. We feel out of our depth talking to our friends and neighbours about our faith in God.

So, we refrain from doing this because we feel embarrassed or fearful or we’re not sure what to say; but Jesus tells us not worry about what we should say - because the Holy Spirit will give us the right words to speak.

However, the only way we’ll experience this is if we take a step of faith and speak out – and give it a go.

Actually, it’s a good thing if we do feel out of our depth and don’t really know what to say – because then God can speak through us.

As I’ve said, the more out of our comfort zone we feel – the more we have to rely on God, and the more he can work through us.

Many Christians are also really daunted by the idea of praying aloud with other people present – for instance at a prayer meeting or in a bible study group, because it’s not something they’ve done before and they feel fearful.

But if we are prepared to take a step of faith and give it a go – we may well be surprised at the help God gives us and the prayers which come out of our mouths.

When I was quite a new Christian, I went to a bible study group and to my dismay the guy running it asked each of us to pray for someone else in the group.

I wasn’t used to praying aloud for people and even worse, he asked me to pray for an elderly lady who I really didn’t know very well at all but who was clearly struggling with life.

When it was my turn, feeling very nervous, I said an arrow prayer - Lord please help me because I haven’t got a clue what to pray – and then I just prayed whatever came into my head hoping it was OK.

I was really surprised that the elderly lady seemed quite moved by what I prayed. However, I was even more surprised when the group ended, and another lady who knew this elderly lady quite well, came up to me and to told me that my prayer had been just right for her.

Because I was out of my depth I had to rely on God and he helped me and gave me the words I needed to pray.

In a similar vein – the whole area of praying one to one for other people is a big challenge for many Christians; and especially perhaps the idea of praying for healing for someone.

It does take courage to offer to pray with someone. Quite a few times I’ve avoided opportunities to pray for people because I haven’t felt very full of faith or I’ve felt awkward or embarrassed.

To some extent the more we do something, the more comfortable we’ll start to feel, but stepping out in faith is often a challenge because it does take us out of our comfort zone.

I remember the first time I offered to pray with someone for healing over 20 years ago. I’d been on a healing course and we’d been told that God would likely provide us with opportunities to give it a go and pray for people.

So, when a lady who worked in my office came in saying she was in pain with a kidney infection, I felt I ought to offer to pray for her.

I ummed and aahed for about half an hour and eventually summoned up the courage to ask her if she’d like me to pray for her. A big part of me hoped she’d say no – but she didn’t, she said – ‘oh yes, please.’

We went to an unused office and feeling very awkward, and wanting to escape back to my desk - I prayed a very quick prayer for her asking Jesus to touch her life and heal her.

I hoped that would be it – but she stayed in an attitude of prayer with her eyes shut for what seemed like ages. I asked her if she was alright – and she said ‘oh yes’ and that she’d been experiencing a great sense of peace and the pain in her kidneys had gone.

I was really surprised because all I’d felt was nervous and embarrassed - but God was able to work through that.

Stepping out in faith needn’t always be a big thing. God often prompts us to do little things. Perhaps to give someone who is struggling our time; to show someone an act of kindness; or to give some money to a person or organisation who needs it.

Sometimes he may be prompting us to pass on some words of encouragement to someone or perhaps a bible verse that may be helpful to someone.

And if we’re obedient to what we feel prompted to do, He can make a deep impression on them.

I remember a few years ago being welcomed to an evening service at St Matthews Church in High Brooms. This guy saw me come in and walked up to me and gave me a very warm welcome.

It wasn’t a big thing, but I’m sure God prompted him to do it, because through this man’s actions I really felt that God himself was welcoming me to the service and that He was pleased I’d come.

Sometimes God may be prompting us to start something new.

It could be starting a daily bible reading programme – like the Bible in One Year or going to a bible study group or prayer meeting. Or perhaps we feel that God wants us to go on a course, or to start up some new local group or initiative.

A friend of my daughter has started up a prayer group for mum’s with young children. And at my previous church a guy set up a monthly men’s breakfast group and invited Christian speakers along.

All these things involve stepping out in faith.

Perhaps you feel that God is asking you to do something but you’re worried that you’re not up to it.

Well, firstly God knows exactly what you’re capable of and if he’s asking you to do something – you are definitely capable of it.

And secondly, if God asks you to do something, He will always help you to do it.

I’ve mentioned before – that when I first felt called to preach, I really wasn’t particularly enthusiastic. My initial response was a bit like John McEnroe’s to the line judge at Wimbledon – “Lord, you cannot be serious!”

I had no desire at all for an upfront role; I really didn’t like public speaking; and I wasn’t convinced that my knowledge of the bible was up to it. But I gave it a go and discovered that God was helping me and actually – apart from feeling nervous - I enjoyed it.

Still today, I look at some bible passages I’ve been given to preach on and think – ‘Oh Lord what on earth can I say about this’ – but I’ve found consistently that with prayer and application, God always helps me find something to say.

As I’ve said, God calls us to do things we’d struggle to do naturally – because just as a swimmer who is out of their depth has to swim – so we - when we’re out of our depth have to rely on God to help us.

So, to tie up what I want to say this morning – I’ll quote Campbell again. ‘Why not have a go at doing something in your Christian life that takes you beyond what you are used to or out of your personal comfort zone.’

Something where you’ll have to say ‘Lord you’re going to have to help me with this because I can’t do it on my own.’

If you do, you’ll likely experience God the Holy Spirit working in and through you and your faith will become stronger and more real.

Maybe you’re not a Christian yet but you’d really like to know God’s love for you, and to experience the power of faith in your life.

And maybe this is something you’ve been thinking about for a while.

Well perhaps today is the day you need to step out of the boat and invite Jesus into your life to be your Lord and Saviour.

Or maybe you are a Christian and you’d like to step out in faith but you feel you need more of God’s Holy Spirit – more of his power and presence in your life. Or perhaps you have a healing need.

Whatever your need Aline and I will be very happy to pray with you at the communion rail or after the service – whichever you’d prefer.

I’m going to close now with a time of quiet prayer and reflection where you can share anything that is on your heart with God.

Perhaps though, reflect on ways that you can step out of your boat and do something for God that is beyond your normal comfort zone.

So, let’s all pray quietly for a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment